LEA is hiring a Highways Designer/Drafter to join the Highway sector of its Highways and Structures Practice Area, located in the Markham office. Reporting to a Senior Highways Engineer, the successful applicant will provide drafting and some design work for highway projects. In this junior designer/drafter role, the individual will be involved in the rehabilitation/resurfacing design work of highways/roadways including highway interchanges/road intersections. The individual should have the ability to work on multiple projects with an understanding of the importance of meeting the schedules/deadlines.
Why join us?
LEA is a reputable, well-established employee-owned professional services firm comprised of engineers and planners. LEA provides consulting services for planning, design, and construction administration of Infrastructure, including Civil, Transportation, Transit, Structures, and Infrastructure Systems projects.
- Our mindset is on the recruitment of like-minded high-performing individuals.
- We are a medium-sized company with a Strategic Plan for growth and expansion.
- We are employee-owned: about one-third of our employees are shareholders.
- We have an entrepreneurial spirit, engaging in stimulating projects with plenty of room for advancement and career growth.
- We offer a competitive total compensation package.
- We prioritize employee mentorship and training opportunities to reach your fullest potential.
- We have a collaborative work environment with flexible hours.
- We balance work-life by unwinding with regular social events such as Golf Day, theatre, sporting events, canoeing, and bowling to name a few.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the detailed design activities for highway projects as per the Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) and the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) manuals, design standards and guidelines.
- Attend project coordination meetings as required, and interface with internal disciplines.
- Coordinate within the design team and assist Project Engineer/Sr. Designer with project-specific design and day-to-day project design activities.
- Assist in-field review/investigation of existing conditions of the highways and compiling field review reports.
- Maintain professional growth and development through on-job design activities, seminars, and workshops.
- Perform other related tasks and duties within the scope of the practice area as assigned.
- Graduate of an Engineering Design or Drafting Technology Program, or equivalent.
- 2-3 years of experience with preliminary and/or detailed design of highway/road projects; working on such projects for the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) is an asset
- Engineering interns or Co-op terms with the same/similar responsibilities are counted towards experience.
- Good knowledge of Transportation Engineering principles and Jurisdictional Design Guidelines (e.g. TAC, MTO, OPSD, AODA).
- Good knowledge/understanding of highway design principles (e.g., grading, horizontal alignments and vertical profile, roadway geometrics, utility plans, typical/cross-sections, and roadway layout).
- Proficient in the use of one or more of the industry-relevant software (AutoCAD, MicroStation, Civil 3D, and InRoads). Working knowledge on AutoTURN is considered an asset.
- Fair understanding of quantity take-off calculation, roadside safety, pavement marking and road signage.
- Team player and able to work independently with little/reasonable oversight.
- Able to prioritize tasks with excellent organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented and commendable problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A desire to learn and continually develop.
LEA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law. We are also proud to provide an accessible work location and accommodate candidate accessibility needs for the interview. We would like to thank all applicants, however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. Please contact email@example.com should you require information or assistance.