LEA is looking for a Transportation Designer to join its Transportation Practice based in both Markham and Downtown Toronto. Successful candidates will contribute to a variety of road rehabilitation and improvement projects as well as development engineering projects; they will participate in the development of preliminary and functional designs, as well as detailed designs, utilizing CAD tools such as (AutoCAD/Turn, Civil3D, InRoads and/or MicroStation). We have an excellent opportunity to work with industry leaders with a track record of success. As part of the Transportation practice area, we offer multi-functional learning opportunities through rotational assignments and exposure to other fields/areas.
Why join LEA?
LEA is an employee-owned engineering consulting firm that provides consulting services for Planning, Design, and Construction Administration of infrastructure projects, including Civil, Transportation, Transit, Structures, and Infrastructure Systems projects.
At LEA, we strive towards a common goal, which is self-realization and achieving the highest possible results. The company is owned by its people and every effort counts. Join LEA and unleash your potential, because:
- Our mindset is on the recruitment of like-minded high-performing individuals.
- We are employee-owned: about one-third of our employees are shareholders.
- We offer a competitive total compensation package of salary, bonus, benefits and other perks.
- We have a collaborative work environment with flexible hours.
- We balance work-life by unwinding with regular social events such as Golf Day, theatre, sporting events, canoeing, and bowling to name a few.
- We make your everyday supercharged with meaning so you can point into the distance and live in the day to reach your goal.
- We are a medium-sized company on continuous growth and expansion.
- We prioritize employee mentorship and training opportunities to reach your fullest potential.
- We have an entrepreneurial spirit, engaging in stimulating projects with plenty of room for advancement and career growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in functional reviews of development projects to ensure on-site traffic functionality and compliance with relevant municipal parking and loading design requirements.
- Draft and review technical drawings using CAD for a variety of projects including Construction Management, Traffic Staging, as well as Roads, Highways, Utilities and Transit projects.
- Prepare conceptual, functional, and/or preliminary designs of roadways, transit systems, and land development projects.
- Conduct detailed swept path analysis using AutoTURN to ensure operational safety.
- Create tin surfaces, alignments, profiles, and detailed sections in Civil3D.
- Prepare construction and traffic management plans for land development projects in accordance with OTM Books 6 and 7.
- Prepare pavement marking and signage plans for land development projects in accordance with OTM Book 5 and Book 11.
- Perform sightline analysis for access management utilizing TAC and relevant municipal guidelines.
- Prepare tender documents and specifications for design projects entering the construction phase.
- Conduct site visits and maintains accurate documentation of site measurements, surveys, and data summaries, and record observations in accordance with corporate reporting guidelines.
- Be familiar with and understand the Zoning bylaws for each of the different municipalities.
- Ensure that the project's requirements are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and affiliations with professional organizations.
- Other exciting related tasks and responsibilities within the scope of the Transportation practice area.
- Bachelor of Engineering with 2-3 years of experience in transportation design.
- Interns and Co-op terms with the same/similar responsibilities are considered work experience.
- Registered Engineer-in-Training (EIT), and working towards professional engineering licensure (P.Eng), with Professional Engineers Ontario, is considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Transportation Engineering principles and Jurisdictional Design Guidelines (e.g. TAC, MTO, OPSD, AODA), as well as municipalities’ design standards for development projects.
- Proficient in the use of one or more of the industry-relevant software (AutoCAD/AutoTURN, Civil 3D, MicroStation, InRoads, and TORUS),
- Strategic and process-oriented, prefers to operate in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Team player and able to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Detail-oriented and able to solve problems effectively.
LEA has a vaccination policy that requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to entering or working at any of LEA's office locations or project sites. Furthermore, all employees must maintain all future booster vaccines in accordance with Health Canada's recommendation.
LEA operates on a hybrid arrangement to ensure flexibility, safety, and the well-being of everyone.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LEA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected statuses under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Additionally, we provide an accessible work environment and accommodate the accessibility needs of candidates. For information or assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants and we appreciate your interest, however, only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. Consider applying again once you see an opportunity that matches your experience and career interests. We encourage you to keep in touch and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.